Red Velvet Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan)
- 1cup soymilk
- 1teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3cup canola oil
- 2tablespoons red food coloring
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4teaspoon almond extract
- 1teaspoon chocolate extract
- 1⁄4cup margarine, non-hydrogenated, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1⁄4cup vegan cream cheese, softened (Tofutti, Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 2cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with liners.
Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, Vanilla extract and almond extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
Make well in center of dry ingredients and gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear.
Do not over mix, oryour cupcakes will turn out gummy – small lumps are okay.
Fill cupcake liners about three-quarters full as these cupcakes will rise fairly high.
Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes until done, or until toothpick inserted in cetner comes out clean.
Cool cupcakes in the pan for five mintues, and then transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool completely.
Using a hand mixer, cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined, then whip in the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches.
Scrape down the sides and mix until smooth and creamy.
Mix in the vanilla.
Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.